The Estevan Mine covers an area of 20,331 Ha. and is located in South Eastern Saskatchewan between the City of Estevan and the Town of Bienfait. The Estevan Mine operates four active pits and supplies lignite coal to the Boundary Dam Generating Station (4 Units), the Shand Generating Station (1 Units), the Activated Carbon Plant, the Char Plant, as well as some Domestic Sales. The Generating Stations are owned and operated by Saskatchewan Power Corporation.
The Activated Carbon Plant is a joint venture between Westmoreland and Cabot Norit Canada. The Char Plant is owned by Westmoreland and supplies char for barbecue briquettes. The Estevan Mine has been supplying coal to the area since 1905 with PMRL acquiring the Bienfait Mines in 1966 and starting the Boundary Dam Mine in 1973.
Coal is uncovered using the six draglines (1 – BE 2570W, 1 – BE 1570W, 1 – P&H1920, 1 – Marion 8750, 1 – P&H 2355). The exposed coal is hauled from the pits directly to the generating station. Current annual production of the mine is 6.0 million tonnes. The current coal supply contracts to the Generating Stations for the Mines expire in 2024.
The Estevan Mine has a long history of mining in Canada with the mine and original char plant being established near Bienfait. The Estevan Mine operates the largest fleet of draglines in our Canadian operations.